B'Day - Markuroth
10:00 GMT -5
April Fool's Chicken Run Event Begins!

B'Day - Matranath
19:00 GMT -5
Spring Festival Last Day!
19:00 GMT -5
Last day of April Fool's Chicken Run!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Fellowship Of Guardians Forum Index -> The Author
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rucagorn
Leader

re: Happy 93th birthday Christopher Tolkien!

Happy birthday Master Tolkien Junior :D
93 birthdays and counting! Lets hope he reach Bilbo's 111 atleast ;D

Thanks to him we got lots of epic Eä, one of them the epic Silmarillion  /bow...
I gotta buy History of Middle-earth series asap!
/bow image

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Christopher_Tolkien

Edit: http://www.thelandofshadow.com/christopher-tolkien-cerebrates-93-years/

News from Christopher himself, anticipations from his Preface to "Beren and Luthien".

In 1981 I wrote at length to Rayner Unwin, the chairman of Allen and Unwin, giving him an account of what I had been, and was still, doing. At that time, as I informed him, the book was 1,968 pages long and sixteen and a half inches across, and obviously not for publication.
[...]
'In theory, I could produce a lot of books out of the History, and there are many possibilities and combinations of possibilities. For example, I could do "Beren", with the original Lost Tales, “The Lay of Leithian”, and an essay on the development of the legend. My preference, if it came to anything so positive, would probably be for the treating of one legend as a developing entity, rather than to give all the Lost Tales at one go; but the difficulties of exposition in detail would in such a case be great, because one would have to explain so often what was happening elsewhere, in other unpublished writings.'»

«I seem now to have done precisely that - though with no thought of what I had said in my letter to Rayner Unwin thirty-five years ago: I had altogether forgotten it, until I came on it by chance when this book was all but completed.
There is however a substantial difference between it and my original idea, which is a difference of context. Since then, a large part of the in close store of manuscripts pertaining to the First Age, or Elder Days, has been published, in close and detailed editions: chiefly in volumes of “The History of Middle-earth”. The idea of a book devoted to the evolving
story of 'Beren' that I ventured to mention to Rayner Unwin as a possible publication would have brought to light much hitherto unknown and unavailable writing. But this book does not offer a single page of original and unpublished work.»

«What then is the need, now, for such a book?
I will attempt to provide an (inevitably complex) answer, or several answers. In the first place, an aspect of those editions was the presentation of the texts in a way that adequately displayed my father's apparently eccentric mode of composition (often in fact imposed by external pressures), and so to discover the sequence of stages in the development of a narrative, and to justify my interpretation of the evidence.
[...]
It is an essential feature of this book that these developments in the legend of Beren and Luthien are shown in my father's own words, for the method that I have employed is the extraction of passages from much longer manuscripts in prose or verse written over many years.»

/respect

Courageous and honorable as men
Beautiful and brave as elves
Mighty and friend as dwarves
Powerful and wise as wizards
Agile and clever as hobbits
Proud with the splendor and glory of Kings of yore
He is Rucagorn, Captain, Guardian of the Free Peoples
Proud and honorable leader of the Fellowship of Guardians

The White Guardian

Rucagorn
Leader

re: Happy 93th birthday Christopher Tolkien!

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/christopher-tolkien-cerebrates-93-years/

Courageous and honorable as men
Beautiful and brave as elves
Mighty and friend as dwarves
Powerful and wise as wizards
Agile and clever as hobbits
Proud with the splendor and glory of Kings of yore
He is Rucagorn, Captain, Guardian of the Free Peoples
Proud and honorable leader of the Fellowship of Guardians

The White Guardian

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Fellowship Of Guardians Forum Index -> The Author All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

News
Error 102 connecting to the RSS feed.

This is most likely a temporary problem with the RSS feed. If it persists check the feed.

Site Activity

The Party of the year!!!
Last Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed
Search Box
Poll Widget
User Recognition
Turbine has discontinued the server status API that allowed us to bring you this widget. Please let us know if you find a new API we could utilize.

Turbine has discontinued the server status API that allowed us to bring you this widget. Please let us know if you find a new API we could utilize.

Poll Widget